Thursday, April 30, 2015

Final Touches for Opening Day



In his book titled, Bowhunting Turkeys A to Z, Tim Knight recommends adding plastic garland and fake leave to the bow riser as camo. During the 2014 fall season I came across a strand of autumn colored grape leaf vines. After stripping the fabric leaves from the plastic vine, I added them to the bow.  In addition to hiding the bow, the leafy texture made the bow wider giving me something to hide behind too.The 3D leaf treatment made some of my hunting buddies laugh but it didn''t matter because it worked so well.  Several times I was able to draw on birds looking my way. Even after a miss there was always an opportunity to nock another arrow and try again.

 Makes sense. Some of the best camo is the Ghillie suit  and my leaf suit works well to help me blend into the surroundings. Some fear the bow will be loud or the garland will make the bow shoot just a tad different. No worries with either. The only caveat is being sure the leafy plastic doesn't contact the arrow or block the sights.

The naked Elite Energy E 35 ready to begin the makeover
A variety of artificial leaf and plant garland
All dolled up.

No comments:

Post a Comment